How to Tie a Bowtie
Tying a bowtie can seem daunting at first, but with a little practice, it can become second nature. Here are some steps to help you tie a classic bowtie:
- Start with the bowtie draped around your neck, with one end hanging slightly longer than the other.
- Cross the longer end over the shorter end, forming an “X” at the base of your neck.
- Loop the longer end up and over the “X” to create a simple knot.
- Holding the knot with your left hand, take the shorter end of the bowtie and fold it in half, forming a loop.
- With your right hand, pick up the longer end of the bowtie and drape it over the folded loop.
- Take the longer end of the bowtie and tuck it behind the folded loop.
- Take the longer end of the bowtie and loop it over the folded loop.
- Take the longer end of the bowtie and feed it through the loop created in step 7.
- With both hands, gently pull on the loops to tighten the bowtie.
- Adjust the bowtie so that the loops are even, and the knot is centred.
- Tuck the collar of your shirt into the bowtie and adjust as needed.
You can also follow along with our short video tutorial. Once you have tied your bowtie a few times, it should become easier and faster. Don't be discouraged if it takes a few tries to get the perfect bow-tie knot – practice makes perfect!
So, now you know how to tie a bowtie, when can you wear a bow tie?
How to Wear a Bowtie
A bowtie is a stylish and versatile accessory that can add a touch of sophistication to your wedding outfit. While it may be traditionally associated with formal occasions, there are various situations where wearing a bowtie can be appropriate and even fashion-forward beyond the big day. Here are some occasions when wearing a bowtie can elevate your look:
- Formal Events: Bowties are a classic choice for formal events like black-tie galas, weddings, and charity balls. They add a refined and elegant touch to a tuxedo or tailored formal suit, making you stand out in a crowd.
- Semi-Formal Occasions: If the dress code calls for semi-formal attire, such as cocktail parties or upscale dinners, a bowtie can elevate your ensemble. Pair it with a well-tailored suit or a blazer, and you'll exude a sophisticated charm.
- Fashion-Forward Casual Looks: Bowties can be worn with a touch of panache for fashion-forward casual outfits. Pair a colourful or patterned bowtie with a crisp dress shirt, tailored pants, and a blazer or cardigan for a trendy and dapper look at parties, art events, or fashion gatherings. Men’s suits and women’s suits are a fantastic addition to any wardrobe, and the bow tie is the ultimate, sophisticated accesory.
Remember, wearing a bowtie requires confidence and proper styling. Consider the formality of the occasion, the colours and patterns that complement your outfit, and ensure that the bowtie is proportionate to your face and body frame. Whether you choose a pre-tied or self-tie bowtie, make sure it's properly fastened and adjusted to maintain a polished look throughout the event.
Locations we service include: Brisbane | Gold Coast | Sunshine Coast | Sydney | Melbourne | Los Angeles
Call 1300 309 272
We visit you in Sydney, Melbourne, Gold CoastBook Appointment
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get exclusive deals, new product releases, and contests!Subscribe